Definition of urbanize in English:
Make or become urban in character: [with object]: once an agrarian society, the island has recently been urbanized (as adjective urbanized) urbanized areas
More example sentences
- Finland is a recently urbanised society - Finland used to be predominantly rural until the late 1940s when it became more industrial.
- Japan has been characterized as an affluent and highly mobile and urbanized society, which also appears to be safe and secure.
- He did not initially have that much support among the tribal, recently urbanized populations of the middle to lower Euphrates, such as Kut and Amara.
- Example sentences
- The government's first response to its failure to contain urbanization was to tighten influx control in the 1960s.
- Scotland, Wales, the interior of Ireland, and the Isle of Man had yet to experience significant urbanization.
- Without this background the impact of increasing urbanisation upon the environmental status of the tidal areas would not be possible.
Pronunciation: /ˌərbənəˈzāSHən/ /ˌərbəˌnīˈzāSHən/noun
Definition of urbanize in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.