The rump of a bird, supporting the tail feathers.
More example sentences
- The extent of white also on the uropygium varies much in individual examples, sometimes spreading down to the thighs.
- The nape, shoulder, and upper surface of wings are also thickly strewn with white feathers; back and uropygium have likewise many white patches, but getting fewer towards the latter portion.
late 18th century: via medieval Latin from Greek ouropugion.
- More example sentences
- They use their bills to coat their feathers with oil from the uropygial gland.
- Ovenbirds give off a unique musty odor that is thought to come from the oil in the uropygial gland.
- The purpose of the current study was to test the importance of preen oil in Rock Doves by removing the uropygial gland and quantifying plumage condition over a period of several months.
Definition of uropygium in:
- The British & World English dictionary