- 1The action of using something or the fact of being used: a survey of water usage the usage of equipmentMore example sentences
- The high level of car usage and the fact the number of large trucks has never been greater also acts as a disincentive to switch to pedal power.
- Finally, there must be a charge on sewage and water based on usage.
- This resulted in reduced water usage and a significant increase in recycling.
- 1.1The way in which a word or phrase is normally and correctly used.More example sentences
- In everyday, non-technical usage the words have much the same meaning.
- In general usage, it is a word associated with emphasis, significance, tension, and strain.
- This usage of the word ‘primitive’ is now much less common and no longer has derogatory implications.
- 1.2Habitual or customary practice, especially as creating a right, obligation, or standard.More example sentences
- The Board shall make its decision with regard to the custom and usage of the insurance and reinsurance business.
- Was there a custom or usage of the ports in Chile that cargo could be delivered without presentation of a bill of landing?
- It was not suggested that usage and custom in this context were other than synonymous.
Middle English (in the sense 'customary practice'): from Old French, from us 'a use' (see use).