Definition of useful in English:
Able to be used for a practical purpose or in several ways: aspirin is useful for headaches
More example sentences
- It means the building is going to be cared for and used and will serve a useful purpose for the community.
- At least it felt like I was doing a proper job and something with a useful purpose.
- The flight served no useful purpose at all: there was no need or compulsion to join it.
- 1make oneself useful
- Do something that is of some value or benefit to someone: make yourself useful—get Jenny a drinkMore example sentences
- For it is by making themselves useful to the powerful that they gain access to the ‘best’ sources.
- I seize this opportunity to help Mark by making myself useful.
- Nice to see the man making himself useful again.
- Example sentences
- He might usefully have added that this could be a long season.
- Minimising waste is very good practice in industry and commerce, and many of its lessons could usefully be applied to households.
- Much of that money was not used usefully and with almost no industrial base the country is groaning under its debt burden.
Words that rhyme with usefulwoeful • joyful • rueful
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.