Definition of usual in English:
- We had a bit of a chat and as usual Eric had me laughing like a drain with his dry observations on life.
- I told Megan that it was just a cold, but as usual she got worried and told me to visit the doctor.
- The usual terms and conditions apply.
noun(the/one's usual) informal Back to top
- ‘We haven't been here in ages, they've almost forgotten our usuals,’ Elizabeth said sadly.
- Looking for a quick bite another time I am in the area, maybe I too will be asked if I would like my usual!
- They stopped at the pub, Emily ordering her usual.
- It was my first proper night there since Hugo's birth and the usuals were present - Isabella, Jeremy, Jack and Duncan with two new faces as well.
- It didn't seem normal this year since we were missing three of the usuals.
- I chat with the moms about school, feeding, the usuals.
- Example sentences
- Well, of course, it is just that usualness of mundane experience that is important in itself.
- One does feel, though, the jerkiness, the routine, the usualness and the unique community of school life and relationships along with the same aspects of the home life of some of the characters.
The English words use and usual are both medieval and derived from Latin usus ‘a use’. People have used drugs or been drug users since the late 1920s, although they could equally be said to abuse (Late Middle English), ‘use in the wrong way’, them. User-friendly is recorded since 1977. The Usual Suspects is the title of a film released in 1995. It comes from a line in the Humphrey Bogart film Casablanca ( 1942): ‘Major Strasser has been shot. Round up the usual suspects.’ Utility (Late Middle English) is from the same root.
Words that rhyme with usualgradual • individual
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.