Definition of usury in English:
1The illegal action or practice of lending money at unreasonably high rates of interest.
- They also practised usury, charging an interest rate of 5 per cent a day.
- He was litigious, speculated cannily on the property market, hoarded grain in times of shortage and may have practised usury.
- But where do you draw the line between this kind of usury and legitimate lending?
1.1 archaic Interest at unreasonably high rates.
- Deuteronomy states, ‘To a stranger you may lend upon usury: but to your brother you may not lend on usury.’
- Of course that had to be paid, but when the amount of interest becomes usury, that is not fair, that is not just, and that's the actual situation.
- Any moneys still due us under the old standard terms of twenty percent usury will be reduced to ten percent usury as a matter of good will.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan