noun (plural uvulae /-ˌlē, -ˌlī/ or uvulas)(also palatine uvula) Anatomy
- 1A fleshy extension at the back of the soft palate that hangs above the throat.More example sentences
- The patient's tongue, soft palate, and uvula were burned.
- The surgery, in which the uvula and soft palate are resectioned, requires a two-day hospital stay and two weeks of recovery time.
- In some people, the tongue and the uvula at the back of the throat block airflow to the lungs during sleep.
- 1.1A fleshy hanging structure in any organ of the body, particularly one at the opening of the bladder.More example sentences
- The uvula of the bladder may be considered as forming the anterior boundary of the trigone.
late Middle English: from late Latin, diminutive of Latin uva 'grape'.
More definitions of uvulaDefinition of uvula in:
- The British & World English dictionary