noun (plural Vs or V's)
- 1The twenty-second letter of the alphabet.More example sentences
- The letter V has been assigned the number 4 in numerology.
- List every girl's name that you can think of that begins with the letter V.
- What are some adjectives that begins with V?
- 1.1Denoting the next after U in a set of items, categories, etc..More example sentences
- Initially all triangles are placed in set V.
- If a site has been identified as falling into Category V, this will become apparent when a title search has been conducted by a buyer's lawyer.
- 2 (also vee) A shape like that of a letter V: [in combination]: deep, V-shaped valleysMore example sentences
- When they finally came, it was in their tens of thousands, in vees and columns of up to two hundred birds at a time.
- I also love off the shoulder tops, or tops with a deep vee or wide neck.
- I placed the centre front seam on the fold of the fabric and cut the vee to more of a curve.
- 2.1 [as modifier] Denoting an internal combustion engine with a number of cylinders arranged in two rows at an angle to each other in a V-shape: a V-engine a 32-valve V8 power plantMore example sentences
- The bonnet may be the shortest seen on a Jaguar and shows just how compact a body the V-engine design can allow.
- Externally, all V-engined Passats are differentiated from lesser models by their red-tinted tail lights.
- Its supercharged V8 betters the Corvette's output by 100 horsepower.
- 3The Roman numeral for five.More example sentences
- By 1364 he was in Paris, working for Charles V.
- Fifteen years after starring in Rocky V, Sylvester Stallone is reprising his role as the boxing champ in the sixth Rocky movie.
- Chapter V lays down certain important provisions that are common to the right of residence and permanent residence.
- A small flying bomb powered by a simple jet engine, used by the Germans in World War II. Also called doodlebug.More example sentences
- When Churchill first learned about the V-1 he was so alarmed that he advocated using poison gas against Germany.
- After the V-1 reached its target on automatic pilot, its engine cut out and it fell from the sky.
- As a substitute for conventional bombing capability, the V-1 had a number of shortcomings.
abbreviation of German Vergeltungswaffe 'reprisal weapon'.
More definitions of VDefinition of V-1 in:
- The British & World English dictionary