noun (plural vagotomies)
A surgical operation in which one or more branches of the vagus nerve are cut, typically to reduce the rate of gastric secretion (e.g., in treating peptic ulcers).
- Truncal vagotomy to reduce gastric acid production is the preferred surgical management approach.
- All gastric operations involving vagotomy included the breach of the pylorus, usually by pyloroplasty.
- The patient underwent an exploratory laparotomy, resection of the gastric mass, pyloroplasty, truncal vagotomy, and cyst duodenostomy.
- Example sentences
- He has similarly reported on 25 vagotomized patients suffering from duodenal ulcers.
- Previous studies demonstrating a significant endogenous 5 - HT drive to the HMN were performed in anesthetized or decerebrate vagotomized animals.
- All of the contractile and relaxant responses evoked by these stimuli were absent in vagotomized animals.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of vagotomy in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.