Definition of valentine in English:
1A card sent, often anonymously, on St. Valentine’s Day (February 14) to a person one loves or is attracted to.
- Strange men followed her in the street, and anonymous valentines, love poems, and long-stemmed red roses in bouquets of a dozen found their way to her door.
- As she seems easily fooled, why not send yourself sheaves of valentines and other billets-doux?
- Sooner or later, we begin to understand that love is more than verses on valentines and romance in the movies.
1.1A person to whom one sends a card on Valentine’s Day.
- You're all I need, my love, my valentine.
- Actually the trick with having a valentine is loving them every OTHER day of the year.
- A young man at a card store before Valentine's Day reading from a card he has picked: ‘… to my darling valentine, my one and only love.’
Definition of valentine in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan