- 1A card sent, often anonymously, on St. Valentine’s Day (February 14) to a person one loves or is attracted to.More example sentences
- Strange men followed her in the street, and anonymous valentines, love poems, and long-stemmed red roses in bouquets of a dozen found their way to her door.
- As she seems easily fooled, why not send yourself sheaves of valentines and other billets-doux?
- Sooner or later, we begin to understand that love is more than verses on valentines and romance in the movies.
- 1.1A person to whom one sends a card on Valentine’s Day.More example sentences
- You're all I need, my love, my valentine.
- Actually the trick with having a valentine is loving them every OTHER day of the year.
- A young man at a card store before Valentine's Day reading from a card he has picked: ‘… to my darling valentine, my one and only love.’
late Middle English (denoting a person chosen (sometimes by lot) as a sweetheart or special friend): from Old French Valentin, from Latin Valentinus. See also Valentine, St..
More definitions of valentineDefinition of valentine in:
- The British & World English dictionary