2 (also Vandyke beard) A neat, pointed beard.
- He had a mustache and a Vandyke beard, and he often wore a high collar with a plain white bow tie.
- He sports a Vandyke beard and flashes a mischievous grin that gives him the look of a swashbuckler, though he's more adept with a torque wrench than a rapier.
- His long, flowing locks framed a handsome face, and his neatly trimmed Vandyke beard and mustache were familiar from the image on many coins and from portraits.
Denoting a style of garment or decorative design associated with the portraits of Van Dyck: a Vandyke handkerchief
More example sentences
- Lady Charlotte sat for the artist-wearing a Vandyke dress of white satin.
- The Little Lord Fauntleroy consisted of a velvet jacket and matching knickerbockers with contrasting trim and a Vandyke collar and cuffs.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of Vandyke in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.