(also varroa mite)
Definition of varroa in English:
A microscopic mite that is a debilitating parasite of the honeybee, causing loss of honey production.
- Varroa jacobsoni, order (or subclass) Acari
- Among the greatest problems is the varroa mite, a bloodsucking parasite that attacks young and adult honeybees.
- Monthly samples of the fallen varroa showed that the screen insert reduced the mite populations by about 15 percent.
- Earlier this year a dead varroa mite was found in a hive in North Canterbury, prompting a major investigation by MAF and restrictions on the area.
Definition of varroa in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.