Entry from British & World English dictionary
Relating to Vaud, its people, or their dialect of French.
- ‘A nuclear plant takes 10 years to build,’ says Vauthier in an English heavily accented with the Vaudois French he spoke growing up in the Jura mountains north of Lake Geneva.
noun (plural same)Back to top
noun (plural same)historical
A member of the Waldenses religious sect.
- The church of Rome and its Italian princes had deeply disgraced themselves by their conduct to the unhappy Vaudois.
- Milton's sonnet itself was only one episode in a long series of British connections with the Waldensians, not only in centuries when they were usually referred to as Vaudois but in the age of Italian unification when they became Valdesi.
- The towns and lands of the Vaudois were restored.
adjectiveBack to top
Of or relating to the Waldenses.
Definition of Vaudois in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.