noun[treated as singular or plural] US • informal
- The notional competition among politicians to be chosen as a party’s candidate for vice president: is the Oklahoma governor a front runner in the veepstakes?More example sentences
- Normally we would chalk his denial up to the gamesmanship that surrounds the veepstakes; that is, the only way to ensure you won't get picked is to say that you want the job.
- Given this history, littered with out-of-nowhere names, it might be reasonable to assume that the press would refrain from breathless speculation about the veepstakes.
- Are the veepstakes about to end?
More definitions of veepstakesDefinition of veepstakes in:
- The British & World English dictionary