- A North American woodland thrush with a brown back and speckled breast.
More example sentences
- Catharus fuscescens, subfamily Turdinae, family Muscicapidae
- Research in Pennsylvania, New York, and Virginia shows that forest birds like the American redstart, hooded warbler, Kentucky warbler, worm-eating warbler, ovenbird, wood thrush, and veery are all vulnerable to deer overpopulation.
- The wood and hermit thrushes and their cousin the veery have taken a severe hit from the cowbirds, so that they are on the brink of becoming endangered species.
- In the agricultural Midwest, more than 80 percent of the nests of some species - veery, wood thrush, hooded warbler, red-eyed vireo, scarlet tanager, and others - host cowbird eggs.
mid 19th century: perhaps imitative.
More definitions of veeryDefinition of veery in:
- The British & World English dictionary