Definition of velarization in English:
A secondary articulation involving movement of the back of the tongue toward the velum.
- In Russian velarized stops contrast with palatalized ones, and velarization is also contrastive in Irish.
- Common secondary articulations are labialisation, palatalisation, velarisation and pharyngealisation.
- The velarization is only explained structurally, and neither physiological nor historico-social explanation is possible.
- Example sentences
- Phonetically speaking, slender consonants are generally palatalised, and broad consonants are velarised.
- Non-palatal consonants are generally velarised, that is the tongue is not just in neutral position, but lowered to produce a more open oral cavity.
- Also, the announcer in the promo is the first person I've ever heard who doesn't velarise the first ‘n’ in ‘penguin.’
Definition of velarization in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.