Definition of velarization in English:
A secondary articulation involving movement of the back of the tongue toward the velum.
- In Russian velarized stops contrast with palatalized ones, and velarization is also contrastive in Irish.
- Common secondary articulations are labialisation, palatalisation, velarisation and pharyngealisation.
- The velarization is only explained structurally, and neither physiological nor historico-social explanation is possible.
- Example sentences
- Phonetically speaking, slender consonants are generally palatalised, and broad consonants are velarised.
- Non-palatal consonants are generally velarised, that is the tongue is not just in neutral position, but lowered to produce a more open oral cavity.
- Also, the announcer in the promo is the first person I've ever heard who doesn't velarise the first ‘n’ in ‘penguin.’
Definition of velarization in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan