A fastener for clothes or other items, consisting of two strips of thin plastic sheet, one covered with tiny loops and the other with tiny flexible hooks, which adhere when pressed together and can be separated when pulled apart deliberately.
- These days, string has been set aside in favor of nifty plastic packaging, Velcro, and duct tape.
- I can't manage things like zips, so they took the zips out and put Velcro in instead.
- You may find yourself going out and buying shoes that have Velcro fastenings instead of laces as the child cannot grasp how to tie their own laces.
Fasten, join, or fix with Velcro.
- My bag was Velcroed across my body and it's horrible to think someone has taken it off me.
- We raced about with nylon Prada bags Velcroed to us.
- It's like a duffel bag, but with mesh sides, rigid lining, and a washable fleecy blanket velcroed to the bottom.
1960s: from French velours croché 'hooked velvet'.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of Velcro in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.