An antlike velvety-bodied insect related to the wasps. The female is wingless, and the larvae parasitize the young of bees and wasps in the nest.
- Family Mutillidae, superfamily Scolioidea: numerous species
More example sentences
- Arizona alone boasts 40 species each of scorpions and velvet ants, and 250 butterflies; the Sonoran Desert has 40 species of termites.
- So, if you see velvet ants, there is probably an underground wasp nest or bee nest somewhere close.
- The velvet ant lays its eggs inside the body of living caterpillars, ants, bees and beetles.
More definitions of velvet antDefinition of velvet ant in:
- The British & World English dictionary