Definition of velvet ant in English:
An antlike velvety-bodied insect related to the wasps. The female is wingless, and the larvae parasitize the young of bees and wasps in the nest.
- Family Mutillidae, superfamily Scolioidea: numerous species
- Arizona alone boasts 40 species each of scorpions and velvet ants, and 250 butterflies; the Sonoran Desert has 40 species of termites.
- So, if you see velvet ants, there is probably an underground wasp nest or bee nest somewhere close.
- The velvet ant lays its eggs inside the body of living caterpillars, ants, bees and beetles.
Definition of velvet ant in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.