- A common pasture grass with soft downy leaves, native to Eurasia and naturalized in North America.
More example sentences
- Holcus lanatus, family Gramineae
- The name velvet grass comes from the appearance its pale purple flower heads make when growing amassed in an open field.
- Prior to this phase 99 percent of the vegetative cover in portions of the valley was exotic velvet grasses, while today 90 percent is made up of native plants.
- Unfortunately, velvet grass displaces native species, transforms food webs, and simplifies whole ecosystems into monotonous and relatively unproductive versions of ‘natural.’