Definition of venous in English:
1Of or relating to a vein or the veins.
- The increase is probably due to raised venous pressure from jugular vein constriction.
- Brain parenchyma from the parietal lobe showed venous congestion, hemorrhage, and diffuse edema.
- A venous Doppler study confirmed venous thrombosis of the deep femoral vein.
1.1Of or relating to the dark red, oxygen-poor blood in the veins and pulmonary artery.
- That made sense as dark red blood is venous, and by then I could see it pooling over the chest drapes.
- The stagnation of venous blood is a phenomenon that appears when the activity of the heart is weak.
- Repetitive contractions of the leg muscles actively pump back the venous blood.
Early 17th century: from Latin venosus 'venous', from vena 'vein'.
Words that rhyme with venousgenus, intravenous, Maecenas, Malvinas, Salinas, Venus
Definition of venous in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.