Definition of ventail in English:
1The lower movable front of a medieval helmet.
- When not at combat readiness, the mailed knight would unfasten his ventail, throw back his coif, and turn back his mittens.
- In one of the World Wars, some tank drivers wore mail ventails on their helmets for the same reason.
- Covering the mouth seems to have come in when the integral ventail was developed.
1.1The whole movable front of a medieval helmet, including the visor.
- The ventail is lined with deer skin, and fastens to the brow with a strap and a period-appropriate buckle.
- He maketh them take off their helmets and lower their ventails, and then kiss one another, afterward he leadeth them to his hermitage.