adjectiveAnatomy , Zoology , & Botany
Of, on, or relating to the underside of an animal or plant; abdominal: a ventral nerve cord the ventral part of the head Compare with dorsal.
More example sentences
- The nervous system consists of a lobed dorsal brain and ventral nerve cord with fused paired ganglia.
- If either of these proteins is absent, then the motor axons select dorsal and ventral pathways randomly.
- The dorsal and ventral edges of the centra are more nearly equal in width in the larger specimens.
- More example sentences
- In insects, as in all arthropods, the main nerve cord lies ventrally, rather than dorsally as in vertebrates.
- In multiple-male matings, males amplex females dorsally, ventrally, and dorsolaterally.
- Adult plumage is blue-black or gray dorsally and white ventrally, sometimes with distinctive coloring or plumes on the head.