Definition of ventral fin in English:
1 another term for pelvic fin.
1.1An unpaired fin on the underside of certain fishes.
- They have no pectoral or ventral fins and their dorsal, tail and anal fins are merged into one long fin down the back.
- Haddock are typically cod-like with three dorsal fins and two ventral fins.
- Cod have three dorsal fins and two ventral fins for increased manoeuvrability.
1.2A single vertical fin under the fuselage or tail of an aircraft.
- IAI and Cyclone Aviation Products Ltd in Carmiel manufacture the ventral fins, rudders, horizontal stabilisers and engine access doors.
- The Impala has a small lipstick camera mounted on the ventral fin to record the visual and audio aspects of your flight.
- A ventral fin was also installed but by the time testing was completed, the Navy had lost interest in the program.
Definition of ventral fin in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.