- A poisonous substance consisting of a mixture of alkaloids that occurs in the seeds of sabadilla and related plants, used, especially formerly, to relieve neuralgia and rheumatism.More example sentences
- In cases of poisoning by veratrine the stomach tube should be used or an emetic administered.
- For therapeutic purposes, the amount of veratrine used ranged from one to five milligrams per dose, in the form of pills or mixed in syrup.
- Paeoniflorin inhibited the contraction induced by veratrine in both the epididymal and the prostatic portions of isolated mouse vas deferens.
early 19th century: from French vératrine, from Latin veratrum 'hellebore'.
More definitions of veratrineDefinition of veratrine in:
- The British & World English dictionary