- A chiefly American herbaceous plant that bears heads of bright showy flowers, widely cultivated as a garden ornamental.
More example sentences
- Genus Verbena, family Verbenaceae: many species, in particular a group of complex cultivars (V. × hybrida)
- We planted verbena around our crape myrtle, and it has gone wild, spilling over the edges of the concrete border.
- Annuals with good deer resistance include ageratum, ice plant, pincushion flower, verbena and zinnias.
- Use a good mix of trailing plants like Petunias, Ivy-leaf geranium, verbenas and lobelia round the edge of the basket.
modern Latin, from Latin, literally 'sacred bough', in medieval Latin 'vervain'.
More definitions of verbenaDefinition of verbena in:
- The British & World English dictionary