Definition of vermilion in English:
1A brilliant red pigment made from mercury sulfide (cinnabar).
- The two paint boxes were found to contain Prussian blue, chrome yellow, vermilion (a red mercury sulfide pigment), and red earth.
- Keune and supervisor Jaap Boon investigated the red pigment vermilion from the Rubens painting.
- Raman spectroscopy is used to identify certain pigments, such as vermilion and red lead, that are not detectable with FTIR.
1.1A brilliant red color: a lateral stripe of vermilion [as modifier]: vermilion streaks of sunset
More example sentences
- The sun was tediously ebbing into the horizon, staining the otherwise violet sky with brilliant streaks of orange and vermilion.
- Among the plants that have lovely vermillion hues to go with this season are the dwarf coral tree and the African flame tree.
- Rich hues of madder red, vermilion, saffron, and black are used in myriad combinations of stripes and checks.
Definition of vermilion in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan