- 1A herbaceous plant of north temperate regions, typically with upright stems bearing narrow pointed leaves and spikes of blue or purple flowers.
More example sentences
- Genus Veronica, family Scrophulariaceae: many species, including the speedwells
- The 7-inch, dark blue spikes of this veronica bob atop a plant that grows low enough that you can actually place it at the front of the border.
- On the inside of the curve, I wove in irregular lines of flowers like Verbena ‘Purple Homestead,’ aster and veronica.
- Meanwhile, established perennials like phlox, veronica, and yarrow are beginning to bloom.
- 3(In bullfighting) a slow movement of the cape away from a charging bull by the matador, who stands in place.[said to be by association of the attitude of the matador with the depiction of St. Veronica holding out a cloth to Jesus (see Veronica, St.)]
early 16th century: from medieval Latin, from the given name Veronica.
More definitions of veronicaDefinition of veronica in:
- The British & World English dictionary