- A short sentence said or sung by the minister in a church service, to which the congregation gives a response.More example sentences
- The low woodnotes of a roller served as a substitute for Gloria in Excelsis following our final response to Adam's versicles.
- There's a big role for the Precentor or Cantor - he has all the versicles and the choir gives the responses.
- Pieces like this may have been composed as a sort of trope on that versicle to be sung in the Divine Office.
Middle English: from Old French versicule or Latin versiculus, diminutive of versus (see verse).
More definitions of versicleDefinition of versicle in:
- The British & World English dictionary