(abbreviation: v. or vs.)
- 1Against (especially in sports and legal use): Penn versus PrincetonMore example sentences
- Liverpool versus Manchester United games are always big matches, for the players and the fans.
- Red Kitching thinks that the Liverpool versus Newcastle United tie could end a managerial career.
- The Yankee pen has been shaky all year and needed El Duque to get a big out versus Oakland.
- 1.1As opposed to; in contrast to: weighing the pros and cons of organic versus inorganic produceMore example sentences
- Policy considerations of crime control versus due process come into play.
- There are numerous fixtures featuring the desperate versus the indifferent.
- In the snooker handicap final it was another case of youth versus experience.
late Middle English: from a medieval Latin use of Latin versus 'toward'.