Definition of vertebrate in English:
An animal of a large group distinguished by the possession of a backbone or spinal column, including mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, and fishes. Compare with invertebrate.
- For that reason the earliest terrestrial vertebrates did not come equipped with an occiput, as we understand the term.
- No one had unambiguously located such genes in animals more primitive than the jawed vertebrates.
- Their presence suggests the feature appeared in a common ancestor of jawed vertebrates, or gnathostomes.
adjectiveBack to top
Of or relating to the vertebrates.
- Indeed, during this time most of the various invertebrate and vertebrate phyla evolved.
- In addition to abundant crinoids, a diverse invertebrate and vertebrate fauna is contained within the Muldraugh.
- In tropical rainforests, the majority of woody plant species disperse seeds via vertebrate frugivores.
Definition of vertebrate in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India