- 1A service of evening prayer in the Divine Office of the Western Christian Church (sometimes said earlier in the day).More example sentences
- After vespers (an evening service), the celebration continues outside the church.
- Very few people, even inside the church, know what vespers really means.
- Luckier still, we might find a vespers service at 7 p.m., and a much anticipated pilgrims' meal in a local restaurant.
late 15th century: from Old French vespres 'evensong', from Latin vesperas (accusative plural), on the pattern of matutinas 'matins'.
More definitions of vespersDefinition of vespers in:
- The British & World English dictionary