- A bat of a large family (Vespertilionidae) that includes most of the typical insectivorous bats of north temperate regions.More example sentences
- The vespertilionid genus Myotis has the widest distribution of all bat genera.
- For comparison, respirometric data were also obtained from Nyctalus noctula, a hibernating vespertilionid bat of similar body size and convergent foraging habits.
- Like many vespertilionid bats, females of some rhinolophid species mate during the fall and store the sperm over the winter, conceiving and gestating young beginning in the spring.
late 19th century: from modern Latin Vespertilionidae (plural), from Latin vespertilio 'bat'.
More definitions of vespertilionidDefinition of vespertilionid in:
- The British & World English dictionary