Definition of vestment in English:
1A chasuble or other robe worn by the clergy or choristers during services.
- The liturgical vestments worn by the priest also indicate this.
- This holiday celebration began in the morning, with clergy clad in white vestments and a choir singing Gregorian chant.
- Peg was gifted with her hands and made numerous vestments for the clergy through her association with the Apostolic Workers.
1.1 archaic A garment, especially a ceremonial or official robe.
- One of the other threads (comparing orthodox medicine/psychiatric techniques to magickal ones) got me thinking about the role of clothing: uniforms, robes, ceremonial vestments, whatever.
- So the whole ritual is a sublimated performance in glittering vestments and ceremonial gestures which transform everydayness into a quasi-encounter with the otherworldly.
- Study, then, is a habit as desirable as her religious vestments, the garb of potential spiritual insight.
Definition of vestment in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan