Definition of vestry in English:
noun (plural vestries)
1A room or building attached to a church, used as an office and for changing into vestments.
- Outside is a small boiler house and the vestry with a single room of about 90 sq ft.
- The school opened with just nine pupils, using a church hall as a classroom and the vestry as an office.
- It will also include two meeting rooms, a kitchen, an office, a vestry and toilets.
1.2A body of parishioners meeting in a vestry.
- I have been on my local library board and served on our church vestry.
- The legitimacy of that refusal was contested by the parish vestry.
- Trustees, members of vestries, and elders need to raise this question and hold church staff (both paid and volunteer) responsible for this kind of accountability.
Definition of vestry in:
- British & World English dictionary