1An instance of vibrating: powerful vibrations from an earthquake the big-capacity engine generated less vibration
More example sentences
- Additional equipment was used to generate soil vibrations in playback experiments.
- In some instances unforeseen vibrations or overload conditions may develop to cause failure.
- Other rodents probably process the seismic vibrations when they are converted to airborne sounds in the burrow tunnel or chamber.
1.1 Physics An oscillation of the parts of a fluid or an elastic solid whose equilibrium has been disturbed, or of an electromagnetic wave.
- However, advocates do not necessarily identify energy or vibrations with radiation or electromagnetic fields, as Abrams did.
- In conventional superconductors, atomic vibrations induce the electron pairing.
- In conventional superconductors, vibrations of atoms induce electrons, which normally repel each other, to form pairs.
1.2 (vibrations) informal A person’s emotional state, the atmosphere of a place, or the associations of an object, as communicated to and felt by others.
- We'd appreciate it if you'd all join us in that endeavor and keep emanating those good vibrations because they help more than you know.
- When you heal, positive vibrations surround you even if you don't realize it.
- With plenty of good vibrations, soul and spirit, this year's Festival is sure to garner some new fans, which is exactly what Hayden and Deen are hoping for.
- Example sentences
- Imagine a molecule made up of tiny balls connected by springs, twang the balls and the molecule vibrates with a set of frequencies which can be recorded as a vibrational spectrum.
- In a rigid potential well, a molecule has a high vibrational frequency at room temperature, with a concomitant lower vibrational entropy.
- For a full exploitation of the information content of vibrational spectroscopy, quantum chemical calculations are necessary.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.