Definition of vicar apostolic in English:
1A Roman Catholic missionary.
- This meant in practice that papal letters appointing vicars apostolic were not be acknowledged.
- This vicar apostolic would report to the office in Rome called the Congregation for the Propagation of the Faith.
- From 1688, despite the danger to the individuals appointed, Rome chose men of piety, integrity, sacrifice and learning to act as vicars apostolic to areas of Britain.
1.1A titular bishop.
- The Roman Catholic vicar apostolic for England equated Anglicanism with Donatism in a journal article.
- Named vicar apostolic of North Carolina and consecrated a bishop in 1868, he attended the First Vatican Council in 1869-1870.
- By the early 1590s it was accepted that a full hierarchy was impossible and a more ad hoc system of vicars apostolic adopted.
Definition of vicar apostolic in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.