Definition of vicegerent in English:
1A person exercising delegated power on behalf of a sovereign or ruler.
- When Henry VIII finally became convinced that his vicegerent was a religious radical who was protecting Protestants secretly, he withdrew his support and allowed Cromwell to fall victim to his conservative opponents.
1.1A person regarded as an earthly representative of God or a god, especially the pope.
- In an Islamic democracy every individual is a vicegerent of God and therefore has the legitimate authority to act in God's name.
- We learnt Islam is not a burden, it is a natural way of life and by our willingness we can choose to be the vicegerent of Allah.
- She is as respectable in the eyes of God as a man and equally shares the responsibility of being the vicegerent of God.
vicegerency noun (plural vicegerencies)
- Example sentences
- And the pursuit of this peace, balance, and justice lies at the core of submission to God, and the obligations of vicegerency.
- In fact, the essence of vicegerency of earth demands progress in science and technology.
- This margin of autonomy by virtue of vicegerency is the Islamic equivalent of popular sovereignty.
Definition of vicegerent in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan