Definition of vigilant in English:
Keeping careful watch for possible danger or difficulties: the burglar was spotted by vigilant neighbors
More example sentences
- He also urged individuals to be vigilant in watching for offenders and to report them to their local councillor.
- As women we need to remain vigilant and watch how our South African Constitution is put into practice.
- We must keep alert and vigilant to the future plans of the developers.
watchful, observant, attentive, alert, eagle-eyed, hawk-eyed, on the lookout, on one's toes, on the qui vive;
wide awake, wakeful, unwinking, on one's guard, cautious, wary, circumspect, heedful, mindful
- Example sentences
- But those of us who disagree should vigilantly watch for, and resist, the ‘displacement of constitutional hegemony’ that the article welcomes.
- Classicism holds sway even in this debate: it has been an ideological service worker vigilantly cleaning up, heroicizing and aestheticizing violences and hatreds.
- What's most curious is that the people who advocate abstinence in other countries are generally the same people who vigilantly refuse to allow discussion of the subject in the United States.
Late 15th century: from Latin vigilant- 'keeping awake', from the verb vigilare, from vigil (see vigil).
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.