Definition of vigorish in English:
1 [in singular] An excessive rate of interest on a loan, typically one from an illegal moneylender.
- If your house is certain to burn down (never mind why…), you either have to keep that fact from the insurance company or be prepared to pay the insurance company just as much as it will ultimately pay you, plus the vigorish - which is pointless.
- It's that kind of power, the power of the gangster who doesn't produce anything, but he collects from the entire neighborhood, because he breaks windows, and ruins the laundry, and collect his vigorish.
2The percentage deducted from a gambler’s winnings by the organizers of a game.
- Canbet also offers perpetually reduced vigorish on straight bets and parlays.
- One advantage often overlooked is that baseball parlays pay true odds, whereas the fixed parlay pay-offs in football and baskets includes increasingly higher vigorish as the numbers of teams increase.
- These outlandish margins on futures compare to the more normal vigorish of 10% on standard bets (such as which team is going to win a particular game).
Definition of vigorish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan