(also viol da gamba)
- A viol, specifically a bass viol (corresponding to the modern cello).More example sentences
- This CD contains music that spotlights either two violas da gamba together, or viola da gamba with recorder.
- The instrumental accompaniment is improvisatory, earthy and ingenious: lute, theorbo, guitar and harp continuo, plus up to a trio of violins, viola da gamba, a cornet and a gentle sprinkling of percussion.
- The viola da gamba which features in four paintings seems likely to be the same instrument throughout, and in any case the dimensions of different instruments do not vary greatly.
Italian, literally 'viol for the leg'.
More definitions of viola da gambaDefinition of viola da gamba in:
- The British & World English dictionary