Definition of violet in English:
1A herbaceous plant of temperate regions, typically having purple, blue, or white five-petaled flowers, one of which forms a landing pad for pollinating insects.
- Genus Viola, family Violaceae (the violet family): many species, including the dog violet and sweet violet . See also viola2
- Colourful wild flowers sprung up by the roadside, purple violets and white daisies dotted among the grass.
- Purple hyacinths and blue violets arranged together, the colors working together nicely.
- There were pools that dreamed black and unruffled, there were a few white lilies, crocuses and violets; purple or pale, snake-like frittilaries.
1.1Used in names of similar-flowered plants of other families, e.g., African violet.
- Bird's-Foot (V. pedata) violets are similar to Confederate violets in that they have no runners.
- Erythronium dens-canis is the true dog's tooth violet, the name comes from the shape of the corm, and has rose coloured flowers on 10 cm stems and purple marked leaves.
- You may put your African violet on a self-watering system to ensure a constant, optimum level of moisture.
2A bluish-purple color seen at the end of the spectrum opposite red.
- He was splendidly dressed in the royal scarlet and bluish violet.
- Except for one large canvas dependent on scrabbled zones of shockingly clear violet, most of the paintings are a little murky.
- Now, it was not a bluish sort of violet, but pure, clear purple.
adjectiveBack to top
Of a purplish-blue color.
- He had a mess of shaggy violet colored hair and violet eyes that shone with a mixture of childish curiosity and animal-like awareness.
- In Ricochet, he scatters an array of ellipses-with-trails in a multitude of colors over a plummy violet ground.
- His scales were a dark violet color; they shone brilliantly in the firelight.
Definition of violet in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India