Definition of violin in English:
A stringed musical instrument of treble pitch, played with a horsehair bow. The classical European violin was developed in the 16th century. It has four strings and a body of characteristic rounded shape, narrowed at the middle and with two f-shaped sound holes.
- Oboes, flutes and violins flutter over acoustic guitar, the foundation of most songs on this CD.
- The bows of the cellos, violins and double-basses seem to caress your heart strings and not those of their instruments.
- She nodded, but continued to watch the four women in their smart black dresses playing violins, viola and cello.
- Example sentences
- Why is the viola player looked upon as the wallflower compared to the violinist or cellist?
- His later instrumental music explores new formal patterns as well as exploiting the virtuosity of cornettists and violinists.
- The cellist and violinist have set up, gone away and come back again.
- Example sentences
- His tone is not large in the Russian violinistic sense; yet the pure, glistening quality of his playing and his natural, thoughtfully conceived shaping of every note and phrase is the mark of a great artist!
- There is no trace in their solo sections of the violinistic broken-chord figuration found in the overture.
- Perhaps this was what Paganini's playing was like - great violinistic artistry!
Words that rhyme with violinagin, akin, begin, Berlin, bin, Boleyn, Bryn, chin, chin-chin, Corinne, din, fin, Finn, Flynn, gaijin, gin, Glyn, grin, Gwyn, herein, Ho Chi Minh, in, inn, Jin, jinn, kin, Kweilin, linn, Lynn, mandolin, mandoline, Min, no-win, pin, Pinyin, quin, shin, sin, skin, spin, therein, thin, Tientsin, tin, Tonkin, Turin, twin, underpin, Vietminh, wherein, whin, whipper-in, win, within, Wynne, yin
Definition of violin in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India