- An early form of double bass, especially a large bass viol.More example sentences
- The performers here, being very good baroque musicians indeed, have deployed a variety of continuo combinations: harpsichord or lute with violone, gamba, double bass or bassoon.
- Further unity is provided by the fact that both composers notate the detailed division of the continuo material with unusual precision, distinguishing the violone from the keyboard and cello continuo.
- It is written in four-stave systems (the continuo is partially figured) and, interestingly, lacks both a viola part and a separate part for the violone.
Italian, augmentative of viola (see viola1).
More definitions of violoneDefinition of violone in:
- The British & World English dictionary