Definition of vireo in English:
noun (plural vireos)
A small American songbird, typically having a green or gray back and yellow or white underparts.
- Family Vireonidae (the vireo family): two genera, especially Vireo, and several species. The vireo family also includes the greenlets and peppershrikes
- This is how the edge of the forest mocks a birdwatcher: though I'm looking intently for warblers, vireos, and tanagers, I get only house sparrows.
- Cedar waxwings, crows, finches, flycatchers, grosbeaks, grouse, jays, mockingbirds, pheasants, thrushes, vireos, and woodpeckers feed on their fruits.
- He observed that the tail moves during vocalization in crows, warbling vireos, and lovebirds.
mid 19th century: from Latin, perhaps denoting a greenfinch.
Definition of vireo in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia