Definition of virgin's bower in English:
A North American clematis with white flowers. Also called old man's beard, because of the fluffy gray plumes that stick to the seeds in autumn.
- Clematis virginiana, family Ranunculaceae
- Many clematis are high in poisonous alkaloids, this may also be true of virgin's bower and sweet autumn clematis.
- This is a good example of why it is important to begin learning the scientific names of the plants in your garden, so that when plant virgin's bower, you get the plant you want!
- The gorge is blessed with a very rich flora consisting of pine trees, Mediterranean cypresses, plane trees, junipers, lentisk trees, oleanders, tamarisks, thorny brooms, wild fig trees, oak trees, styrax trees, virgin's bowers, brambles, wild carob and olive trees, terebinths, fern trees and many others.
Definition of virgin's bower in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan