Definition of virgin birth in English:
1 (the Virgin Birth) The doctrine of Christ’s birth from a mother, Mary, who was a virgin.
- Thus, the truth of Mary's perpetual virginity is, like the Virgin Birth, essential Catholic belief.
- We will not go into the difference between the immaculate conception and virgin birth.
- At school, like my peers, I was indoctrinated in the mysteries of original and venal sin, virgin birth, the respective criteria for entry to limbo, purgatory, and heaven.
2 Zoology Parthenogenesis.
- These so-called virgin births are common in invertebrates like snails, but are unusual in higher vertebrates.
- The bonnethead shark and bamboo shark are from different families; the bonnethead suspected of a virgin birth gave birth to a live pup, rather than laying eggs as the bamboo shark had.
- It was a virgin birth: She hadn't been near a male for six years.
Definition of virgin birth in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.