1 [as submodifier] Nearly; almost: virtually all those arrested were accused the college became virtually bankrupt
More example sentences
- The building was virtually destroyed in the blaze, which broke out late on Saturday night.
- They headed out before the nightclub closed, which was virtually a first for Mac.
- Olive had found the meadow quite charming and had virtually claimed it as her own.
effectively, in effect, all but, more or less, practically, almost, nearly, close to, verging on, just about, as good as, essentially, to all intents and purposes, roughly, approximately
informal pretty much, pretty well
literary well-nigh, nigh on
2By means of virtual reality techniques.
- On the other, the community is only virtually there, and disappears with the flick of a button.
2.1By means of a computer; computationally.
- Pretty much any control button found on a handheld console can be imitated virtually on screen.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.