A metal tool with movable jaws that are used to hold an object firmly in place while work is done on it, typically attached to a workbench.
More example sentences
- The vise is a workbench tool and should be firmly secured before being used.
- Dip or spray the handles and clamp a metal portion of the tool lightly into a vise and let dry.
- Lock a tool head in a vise to remove a broken handle.
Middle English (denoting a screw or winch): from Old French vis, from Latin vitis 'vine'.
- More example sentences
- Adam wrenched his vice-like grip off the cranks and gears beneath the vehicle and rolled out from the other end.
- The jaguar reached out and grabbed his wrist in a vise-like grip.
- It wasn't until foam was coming out of her mouth and she had me by the throat that the gas was wrenched from her vice-like grip.