Definition of vise in English:
A metal tool with movable jaws that are used to hold an object firmly in place while work is done on it, typically attached to a workbench.
- The vise is a workbench tool and should be firmly secured before being used.
- Dip or spray the handles and clamp a metal portion of the tool lightly into a vise and let dry.
- Lock a tool head in a vise to remove a broken handle.
- Example sentences
- Adam wrenched his vice-like grip off the cranks and gears beneath the vehicle and rolled out from the other end.
- The jaguar reached out and grabbed his wrist in a vise-like grip.
- It wasn't until foam was coming out of her mouth and she had me by the throat that the gas was wrenched from her vice-like grip.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan