Definition of visitor in English:
1A person visiting a person or place, especially socially or as a tourist.
- Their view will be that of the outsider, the visitor, the tourist.
- This is a wonderful development in the area and was much needed to facilitate the local visitor and the passing tourists.
- She was a frequent visitor to the local garden centres in the city and county and her garden was a testimony to her love of shrubs and flowers.
1.1 (usually visitors) A member of a sports team on tour or playing away from home.
- No mean achievement this, as the visitors ' first team are two leagues above Ilkley.
- Robinson added the extra two and a further penalty when the visitors strayed offside.
- A penalty put the visitors back to within one goal as the teams went into overdrive.
1.2chiefly British A person with the right or duty of occasionally inspecting and reporting on a college or other academic institution.
- Upstairs, the visitor sees that a group of 3rd-graders are also having a math lesson.
- First off, Michael Briggs managed to thwart a formal inquiry by appealing to the university visitor.
1.3 Ornithology A migratory bird present in a locality for only part of the year.
- As we were leaving, we stopped to admire the cardinals at the bird feeder by the visitor's center.
- Sharath Babu says the golden oriole is an attractive bird, a winter visitor to Bangalore.
- Ice free, fresh water will help attract birds to your garden and make them regular visitors.
Words that rhyme with visitorinquisitor
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.