- Filled with bitter criticism or malice: vitriolic attacks on the politicians vitriolic outburstsMore example sentences
acrimonious, rancorous, bitter, caustic, mordant, acerbic, trenchant, virulent, spiteful, savage, venomous, poisonous, malicious, splenetic; nasty, mean, cruel, unkind, harsh, hostile, vindictive, vicious, scathing, barbed, wounding, sharp, cutting, withering, sarcastic
- She has been on the receiving end of other withering and vitriolic attacks from women columnists.
- An irascible bachelor, he was often vitriolic in his criticism of the work of other artists, and jealous of their successes.
- It's the kind of thing where other people's vitriolic criticism of it makes me suspect I'll really like it.
- More example sentences
- Green's arrogant belief that he has been dragged down by his environment and peers leads him to vitriolically reject the class he was born into.
- The only problem I have with this vitriolically elegant production is its speed: this brittle, precise text mustn't be rushed.
- His writing is lethally sharp and vitriolically funny: the jagged aggressiveness of American speech moulded almost into poetry.